How an architect can save you money
Paying for architectural services does not necessarily increase your project costs. It merely redistributes those costs in a more effective manner. Instead of paying for construction delays, mistakes, and wasted materials at the end of the project, and wasted time, energy, and frustration for the rest of your life, you can pay for a good design in the beginning to make sure those things don’t happen.
Good design and careful planning will:
- make the most efficient use of floor space and structural framing while providing the most functional arrangement of rooms.
- insure a thermally efficient building envelope, saving you energy costs over the life of the building.
- minimize construction material waste. This not only saves you from paying for materials you don’t need, it also saves you in disposal fees and helps conserve our planet’s resources. Even contractors notice the difference.
- minimize surprises. At every step of the process you know where you are, what’s left to accomplish, and what needs to be done next. And that not only means less stress and more peace of mind, it makes the whole process a lot more enjoyable.
- help you to get the best building and the most value for your project budget
Along with good design, having a well-detailed, accurate, and easy-to-read set of construction drawings will:
- insure that you receive the most accurate bids from contractors, with no surprise add-on’s down the road.
- virtually eliminate construction mistakes, insuring that your contractor builds it right the first time, saving everyone time and money.
- result in accurate material orders so your contractor get the right products in the right quantities at the right time.
- make it easier for your contractor to coordinate the work of other subcontractors and plan a smooth and orderly installation sequence to avoid construction delays and system conflicts.
- save your contractor time and headaches trying to figure things out on his own.
- help you get faster plan approval from building inspectors.
Architectural services can also help save time and money during the construction phase by:
- reviewing of product manufacturers’ shop drawings (i.e. roof and floor trusses, window and door schedules) prior to construction will help insure that everything conforms to the construction drawings before products are fabricated and shipped. This not only prevents major construction delays, it also saves re-shipping and restocking fees.
- being able to answer questions and resolve any conflicts that might arise in a timely manner.
But the real bonus, of course, is in the end, when you open the front door and walk into the building you envisioned, instead of something else.